Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Amy's Adventure in Kale Chips

Kale chips.  Unless you've been living in a dietary hole, you've heard of them.  It is the latest health craze.  A "super food."  Read on.  

First, I purchased some ready made Kale Chips (garlic flavored) from the local farmer's market.  I really don't like green veggies much at all.  I've never been a salad person.  I figured I would try someone else's before I attempted to make my own.  


How much did one ounce cost?  SIX FIFTY.  Seriously?  Six dollars and fifty cents?  OMG.  But, being the faithful bandster I am, I needed to experience kale chips.  I coughed up (no pun intended, lol) the money and brought them home.



organic: kale, cashews, lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, red bell pepper, green onion, pink himalayan salt
I chose garlic so it would hopefully mask the bitter kale taste.  Ick.  I wasn't impressed. It tasted like garlic flavored grass with a nasty aftertaste. I could choke it down, but I didn't enjoy it at all.  I was picturing "chips" that were dip-able, but these were fragile crunchy things that couldn't be dipped at all.  Ok, I bought, I tried, I didn't like them.

I decided to make my own.  I came up with what I thought was a brilliant idea.  Their recipe used cashews, what about powdered peanut butter?  I made two batches.  The end result:  my kale chips were edible, but very leafy tasting and not good.  It looked like I puked on the kale and then baked it.  Fail.


So...yeah for me for trying something new.  I was hoping that I would find a new food that I would like.  

14 comments:

  1. Oh that is just nasty. I can't believe you miss picky eater tried those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been hearing a lot about kale chips!!! Interesting??? Also have heard a lot about dried sugar snap pea type chip things...those look interesting as well...will have to try both!!!

    On a funnier note...I was watching cupcake wars today...I know what show to watch right???...anyway one of the surprise ing. Was kale and they baked it up and blended it in cupcakes and frosting!!! No joke and didn't look that yummy either!!! Kale in a cupcake??? I think not!!!;)

    Good job for trying to make your own!!! At least you tried right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for trying. But yack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the culinary adventure - I love home made kale chips - a little salt n peppa and some EVOO - store bought ones are too expensive and dry ~ belch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. The only time mine were ever too fragile and dry was when they were overcooked. Guess those packagers didn't know what they were doin'.

    They're definitely an acquired taste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice job trying something new---yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't like them either. Personally, I think they're seriously overhyped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know so many people who think they're amazing...I just don't get it. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I'll pass...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I join you Kale Fail club? A few weeks back I tried it and I swear I would rather have my appendix removed through my vagina than eat the crap I had made. Good for us for trying new things but what I made was too funkadelic for me! Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny you posted this b/c I was at dinner last Friday night and one of the girls is a serious nutrition nut and she was talking about Kale Chips and I was saying there was no way I would like them, so I challenged her to make me some and have her husband bring them in on Monday.. well, she did and the ingredients were the same as the above container minus the garlic and I gotta tell you, I gobbled them down.. they were delicious! She used a dehydrator instead of baking them so maybe that was the difference but they were super crispy and almost tasted like they had cheese on them..
    Now, I'm not saying that I'm joining the Kale revolution, but the ones I had were delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol. yuck. i must live in a dietary hole because i never heard of kale chips. heard of kale. not kale chips. good for you for tring something new. nothing ventured... nothing gained.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't get past the way they look to even try them. I seriously doubt I would like them...they look yucky.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok, you just sealed the deal for me. never ever trying these! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep wanting to try these and just never do. I doubt I would like them either.

    ReplyDelete