Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Forgive Me Father, For I Have Sinned: Confessions of a Rule Breaker

Got a teenie tiny fill (.10) last week and I'm feeling it.  How do I know?
  • On Friday at work (lunchtime), I couldn't eat my lunch - not even two bites of it - before I felt like I was going to hurl all over my classroom.  I was too stressed to eat.  I know better then to try to eat when I'm all clenched up inside.  Stupid!  
  • I cannot gulp water anymore.  One swallow at a time, sister.  Any more than a swallow and the "recycling" program begins.  <bahahahaha. I made myself laugh outloud at that one>
  • Yesterday I was offered a yummy (but dry) homemade muffin and I "had" to eat quickly (was in line at Bountiful Baskets!).  Stupid.  Stupid.  Stupid.  I know better - it was 7AM and I was sleepy and hadn't even had WATER yet.  Stupid Stupid Stupid.  I lost most of the muffin behind my car and the rest through really painful dry heaving and tears all the way home.  It hurt.  A lot.
  • Today I was super hungry while shopping (Stupid!  I know never to do that!).  I found a good deal on Riceworks chips (made from, uh, rice).  I got in the car and proceeded to count out 10 chips like a good little bandster.  While I was driving, I munched on them (Stupid!! I know not to eat and drive with the band!).  So...guess what?  Yup.  Chest pain and heaving into a water bottle.  Yep - I've mastered the art of yaking into a regular 16 oz water bottle.  I'm not proud of that.
So what did I learn?

  1. Don't consume anything but water when you wake up.
  2. Drink the water slowly or you'll see it again in 30 seconds.
  3. Don't eat anything "iffy" when stressed.  You will get stuck.
  4. Don't shop when hungry.  Band or no band, it isn't a good idea.
  5. Don't eat and drive.  You'll eat too fast or just eat something and get stuck, then trying to heave while driving.  Not cool.
  6. Ricechips are made of RICE, Amy.  Rice does not agree with you now.  What happens when rice goes down the throat?  It expands.  It expands UP your esophagus and out your mouth.  You'll experience the worst pain in your chest that you think you've ever had. 
Other than the last few rough days, things are going well.  I wasn't intentionally doing any of the above things, but this weekend was a kick in the arse that I have to be super careful after a fill and follow the rules as if I was just banded.  

5 comments:

  1. Wow...sounds bad. Live and learn tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've definitely had a few learning experiences this week. Remember also...chew, chew, chew. That saves a lot of the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a definate learn as we go process. It also amazes me that each one of our bands acts differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you. I've been having more stuck episodes in the past month than in the first YEAR with my band. There's definitely a learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you have had a painful weekend. It is funny how just a little bitty fill can eff you up!!

    ReplyDelete