Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bountiful Baskets (co-op produce!)

A friend told me about this and I just had to try it.  On Monday or Tuesday, you pay $15 online for an order that you pick up on the following Saturday.  Your order can be organic for an extra $10.  There are also "extras" that you can add on, based on what is available.  Nothing is sold at the site (a local park), you just show them your pre-paid ticket and load 'er up.  There are locations all over town.  My pickup location was about 5 miles away.  

50% of the basket is fruit and the other 50% is vegetables.  It was so nice to just drive up and pile this all in my car at once!  I paid an extra $8.50 for the "Mexican Pack."  One of my favorite new foods is Fruit Salsa.  I had no idea how delicious salsa and fruit were when mixed together!    See if there is a co-op in your area:  Bountifulbaskets.org.  There's no commitment, just order when you want some.  Mmmmmmm!!
The fruits - (found 3 more pears after I took this pic)
nectarines, plums, funky pears, nanners, mangos, grapes
The veggies - forgot the cauliflower when I took the pic
Corn, potatoes, spinach, celery, cauliflower, some other green stuff that I don't know....
The mexican pack - garlic, onions, peppers, limes, cilantro, tomatillos,  assorted peppers, avocados

5 comments:

  1. Definitely let us know how it goes. I wonder about fruit with skins (apples, grapes) and celery (the strings). Sounds like a great deal !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there's a lot of "danger" foods included. It's scary at first, but I haven't had any issues for a while. Today I had a nectarine WITH the skin! Woooo! Made sure to chew it well, but not a single problem. I LOOOOOVE celery with peanut butter -- I think I'm going to try some tonight (with powdered PB, as regular PB does not agree with my band at all). A lot of it is stuff that I would never have bought on my own, but I'll give 'em a try. For 15 bucks, it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds amazing - I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete