Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Movie Theater Survival 101

I went to see The Help today.  Pretty good movie.  Buuuuttt...I had some good things happen today.  First, I fit into a 2x shirt.  It was snug on the sides, and the side flab rolls showed, but darnit, it actually fit on the top!  When I leaned over, I couldn't see all the way down my shirt.  Now, on to the movie. . .

Challenge #1:  Diet Coke.  My friend knows about my surgery, so it wasn't a huge deal.  I had my first taste of soda since pre-op.  I only took a small sip, just enough to get the taste in my mouth.  I swished it around like mouthwash.  Yum.  It was good, but life no longer includes soda, either regular or diet.  No biggie.  My friend asked, "Do you miss it?"  My response was no.  Good: Yes!  Required for me to live a happy life:  No!  Life goes on.

Challenge #2:  Popcorn. My friend got popcorn and I ate three kernels.  Yes, three.  I had a serving of BBQ flavored soy thingies during the movie.  It was stressful - I felt anxious - I was trying so hard not to smell all of the good movie theater smells.  I kept reminding myself why I had the surgery and how far I have come.

Challenge #3:  No liquids.  I guess I never realized that I drank water like some sort of freakazoid when socializing pre-band.  I always drank a big glass of water before meals (or tried at least).  Drinking water would help with any anxiety (and I'm not talking nervousness, but overexcited anxiety - because of the upcoming food). Strange, eh?  Well...now I don't have that crutch.  No liquids with meals, none for 1 hour after.  It was strange.  All I could do was sit there and focus on not knocking over my friend and shoving my face into the popcorn bag.

I guess I'm realizing that the Lap Band is really kind of a slap in the face.  A combination of "wake up you morbidly obese, depressed human being that will die early if you don't get your arse in gear" and "now you have to confront feelings that you always hid with food."

S.A.L, don't let me down now.
And Amy, don't let yourself down, either.

8 comments:

  1. Great job on the NSVs ... I still chug water like a freakazoid (start one hour after a meal) ... is that ok or should we still be sip, sip,sipping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make you realize things that you really didn't want to deal with before. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is why many of us have depression days after surgery. We are trying to confront things we used food for in the past. It is a real change.
    But, it sounds like you did great.
    I actually drink right up to when the food arrives. I almost try to water-log myself. I know I shouldn't but..... so far I am still losing so I am going to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha Ha- when I was tyuping in my code for the post above, my word was CHEAT. I guess it is trying to tell me something. Ugh. Now I feel guilty....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some awesome NSV's! I think it will be strange the first few times I am out socially on how I will deal with the food/drink thing. You did a great job!! I think we just need to think of it as baby steps. Keep up the good work my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great NSV's - the first trip to the movies can be hard, but sounds like you did well.

    Also, wasn't it nice to be able to sit there comfortably? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ronnie - oh yes, I totally forgot to mention that I WAS able to fit better in the seat! Only 48 pounds down as of today, but it did make a difference!

    ReplyDelete