Pre-band, one of my favorite foods was a hot pretzel and cheese dip (emphasis on the extra fatty and spicy Velveeta cheese dip). Love, loved loved my hot pretzels. I think I've tried them 2 times since I was banded - a no go each time. I could chew it all day, but it is so dense that it just sits on top of the band until I eventually am able to yak it up. Not cool.
Today I stopped by a Walmart near work and discovered that inside of the Walmart, there was a Wetzel's Pretzels. OMG. The entire store smelled of that delicious, yeasty, pretzely goodness. You know that smell, right? I wanted a pretzel like no one's business. I felt my mouth moisten, my pulse quicken and actually felt lightheaded. Dang. I was so hungry but I resisted. Let me say that again. I RESISTED. I have the power to resist. The world didn't end, I didn't faint in the store, and no one was injured.
There aren't many foods that I've completely banned from my diet, but hot pretzels are #1. They fall into the same category as untoasted bagels and other super dense breads. It isn't worth it. The band is pretty darn snug right now, and I haven't come this far to blow the whole thing over a frickin hot pretzel.
What about you? Are there any foods that you know you absolutely cannot eat? There's the "no no list" that Allergan puts out, but I can honestly eat quite a bit on there (popcorn, corn, etc). I was just curious to see what personal experiences people have.

I have trouble with scrambled eggs and pork. I'm not sure if I have trouble with bread because I just stay away from it. I noticed popcorn was on the no-no list...I can eat all the popcorn I want and never a bit of trouble with it.
ReplyDeletewell, since my band experience has been a roller coaster ride, I try not to try much on the "no no list." My band seems to be super sensitive...freaks out over the slightest fill or PB incident. Unfortunately for me, I have tried french fries. Twice actually. First time was in November, just a couple, didn't go well. But I thought "maybe I ate them too fast or didn't chew enough." Second time was a week and a half ago. BAD idea. Ate 3 got stuck. PB for 2 hours then finally threw up. Band was sooooooo mad I couldn't eat anything...barely water, for 3 days. now I am unfilled to 3 ....fun times.
ReplyDeleteI am too afraid to try toast let alone a pretzel.
Good for you! I can honestly say I do not have a no list. I may try a bite and just by that one bite I know it will not go down. But rice..........oh no! It was the worst PB episode EVER. I won't touch it. It is just not worth it.
ReplyDeleteovercooked eggs (esp. fried), reheated meat, spaghetti or fettucini, asparagus that is super stringy and hard to chew... the list goes on and on...
ReplyDeleteI can't do scrambled eggs, or any kind of doughy bread. I can sometimes do very toasted bread...sometimes. White meat chicken kills me. I'm a slow learner and often times revisit foods and pay the consequences. Pre band I would have knocked people over for a hot pretzel and I'd get an extra cup of cheese...just for good measure!
ReplyDeleteThe "no no" list is crap. I can do almost everything on it, albeit slowly. The only thing I've banned completely is carbonation (and that has been a very hard pill to swallow...get it? Swallow? Anyway...) and fast food chinese food. The pain just isn't worth it.
ReplyDeleteWay to resist though!! I stay out of isles in the store now to avoid the temptation, like the cake section of the bakery! mmmmm
ReplyDeleteCarbonation totally and yeah let's face it doughy bread are just not worth the pain. Bit I don't have anything yet that is an official, " I can't eat it yet."