Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Crockpot + Diet Soda + BBQ Sauce = Yum & Easy

My household: 1.  Yep.  Just me.  I don't cook meat very often, especially in large amounts...but...I had a big meat craving two weekends ago and just had to share.  It isn't rocket science, but just something I discovered and thought I'd pass along:


What I used:
2 1/2 lb chuck roast (trimmed all visible fat)
1/2 can diet cherry soda (you can use regular, too)
BBQ Seasoning (any generic mix)
1/2 bottle BBQ sauce
A couple squirts of ketchup
A TBS hot sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
crock pot
optional: liquid smoke (if you have it, but not necessary), 


Trim fat & season the meat the day before cooking with the dry rub and put it in a baggie overnight.  Mix all wet ingredients together.  Turn crockpot on low, pour in wet ingredients, then put in meat, cover, cook 7 hours.  Remove, use two forks to pull meat apart, then put it all back in the crockpot for another hour.   Let those yummy juices fully soak in.


Total cooking time, 8 hours.  Very good & easy enough for me.  Freezes well.  Note:  it will be very moist and more "liquidy" than regular pulled meat (the soda).


There you have it.  No real exact measurements, but damn tasty.  I used a small crockpot (oval, not the traditional circular one).  If yours is larger, you may need more liquid to keep it all moist during cooking.

2 comments:

  1. I make pulled pork this way. I put a shoulder or butt in the crock pot cover with Rootbeer and let simmer on low overnight. In the am I drain, this actually makes the meat moist but drains off all the excess fat. Drain all the liquid off then add two bottles of my favorite BBQ sauce and let it soak away and cool off... as my family likes this... it's a great item to bring to a potluck or BBQ, always a big hit.

    ReplyDelete