My second taste of "fast food." My first experience was a kid's meal at PF Chang's (half of it, as I was only 2 weeks post op). Today was Chili's. The appetizer had 10 boneless wings. I took a picture because I wanted to remember how many were actually on the plate. Although I have the Lap Band, there is not a sense of restriction yet. Basically what that means is that unless I eat too quickly (or a dangerous, banned food), I don't feel full. I have to stop myself.
Two months ago, I would have mowed down that whole order, and probably more. Today, I allowed myself four pieces. I don't have words to express how difficult it was to not only leave it on my plate, drive home with it in the car and then to be in the house, knowing that the leftovers were in the fridge. Whew. It's going to be a long road.

Great job on only eating 4 !! I'm curious - how did you do with the whole process (chewing, digesting, etc.) Yes, I am very concerned about my eating - once I'm allowed to do it !
ReplyDeleteI had an episode of severe chest pain at 4 days post op when I ate peanut butter. I didn't know that wasn't a good idea. It was a take-your-breath-away, very scary event. I didn't feel like I was going to throw up, just really bad pain. It felt like someone was stepping on the middle of my chest. Not fun. Lesson learned. Now I have powdered peanut butter.
ReplyDeleteThe other time I actually did feel nauseated. I ate half of a Vitatop (muffin like thing) too fast. It was so delicious, and my first bread product after surgery and I just ate too fast. I've had the same time since, and was fine. I think I just wasn't thinking and ate it too quickly.
The other food that gives me a strange feeling is ham steak. I get that someone's-stepping-on-my-chest feeling (but not as bad as the peanut butter incident). I just have to chew things well and make sure to eat small bites.
I was really paranoid about learning to eat again. It seemed like forever - but I just pureed some chicken up in my Magic Bullet and started with that. Just work up nice and slow and you'll be fine :) :)
Thanks, Amy. I have another week (oh wait - LESS than a week) before I move from liquids to mushies so I'll be doing some reason on best transition foods. :)
ReplyDelete