Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Support Group Gone Wrong: How to Fail With Lap Band

I heard that there was a support group open to bariatric patients (obesity help website), so I decided to go.  It was at a cafe-type restaurant.  There were 5 or so other people, all of which were 55+.  Yes, it was strange since I'm almost 34.  There was one other bandster, everyone else was bypass.  It was nice to be around others but the age difference was awkward.

One bypass lady asked how much weight I've lost.  I told her 72 pounds.  Her eyes bugged out.  Apparently she was of the mindset that people with the band don't lose that much weight.  "Oh, that's incredible for the Lap Band!!"  Seriously?  SERIOUSLY?  Lady, if you think I'm stopping at 72 pounds, you're mistaken.  After the entire group quizzing me about "how" I lost "that much weight," I got to thinking.

Do people really not follow the band rules?  I know I've goofed, but I've learned. I watched the lady across from me (bandster) eat her lunch.  Cheeseburger and fries.  1/4 pound burger (with the bun, I might add) and fries.  I watched her drink a soda throughout the meal.  HELLO?!?!    She inhaled her food.  INHALED IT.  The entire burger and nearly every fry.  Ok, so I know I've not always made fantastic choices, but seriously.  I ate my burger with a fork, she used her hands.  She was done in 5 minutes (easily).  I had taken three bites.  I declined the free soda that came with the meal, she did not.  Body types differ, I realize that.  I know I'm picking the poor woman apart, but I just can't help ask...why?

And the reason she's failing?  Lack of education.  Her aftercare was barely anything at all.  She complains about being hungry but has no plans to get a fill.  I don't understand.  Isn't the solution kind of obvious?  GET A FILL.  She's much older, so maybe not so proactive, but she had kind of a ho-hum attitude.  She kept referring to the band as past tense.  "I lost XX pounds."  Why is this not an ongoing process?  Has she given up?  Thrown in the towel?  It made me wonder if her insurance hadn't covered the surgery, would her attitude be different if she had to cough up (ha, literally) the money?

Okay, thanks for reading my rant.  At least she's been going to the group for a while and hopefully she'll be motivated by hearing other bandsters (although in that group they are few and far between).  It seemed more like a social group for retirees than a support group.   I'll stick with my support group at TR.  I wish it was more than once a month though.

And for dinner....a protein shake.  Ucky!

16 comments:

  1. It's important to follow the rules and adjust your band. Otherwise why get it? I would LOVE to eat a hamburger with a bun, but being a normal weight is way more important. We all fudge a little, but those of us who are really successful with the band understand the basic principles(many don't).
    It's important to surround yourself with like minded people- that's what the blogging community has given me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - interesting. I'm glad you're following the rules so YOUR journey is successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still new to the game of lap band but with all the reading and research i have done I have come to realize a few things. I can almost tell immediately who will not do well with the band. It's like they have the wrong attitude with the whole thing. Like that lady the reason she wont get the fill i cause then she would not be able to eat that hamburger and fries, and she figures if she can eat the hamburger while she has the lap band it is ok.

    sorry rant over .. and hello good to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, maybe I should go with you to the support group so they can see there's more than one person being successful with the band! Next time I see you I will have to share a very interesting conversation I had with a Nurse Practioner friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is scary and sad. Doesn't sound like she had the support she should have from her doctor's office. I'm only a couple of months out from surgery, but I can't imagine doing any of what she did! My problem is so bad I felt I had to get surgery, and that is what keeps me from breaking the rules.

    By the way, why does a WLS support group meet at a restaurant???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Amy - I've been following you for a little while - thanks for hopping over onto my blog! That is insane - why go to the freaking trouble of having the surgery if that's what you're going to do with it. When I decided to get banded, I went on my clinic's website, and was kind of discouraged by alot of the negativity on the site...I called my contact and said, "Listen, I don't know what these other people are or are not doing, but I am going to make this thing work for me come hell or high water. I will not fail again - especially since this is such a drastic step to take. So tell me the rules ,and I'll follow them. I want to be like a laser"...I've fudged a bit here and there, but the MAJORITY of the time, I am on...and I'm good with that. Good for you for sticking to the band rules - you're going to sail past 72 lbs down, my friend, I hear ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You def have the right mind set and it shows.... 72 lbs in less than 6 months is pretty freakin amazing!! I don't know why some have the surgery. When I went to dr and told him I was working out 5 days a week he thought it was crazy. I guess he see's a lot of people missing the whole point of the lapband! Glad you have your head on straight!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just can't imagine getting lap-band surgery but then not following through with getting fills and trying to lose the weight! Why would you go through all that!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Amy... Thanx for your wonderful comments on my blog. I do try to keep positive, even though like a regular diet... Band life has it's ups and downs. I have lost alot of weight so far and I am about a million times more healthy. So, what's to be negative about? I look forward to following your journey...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a fantastic post! And I agree with the comment above - why on earth would this group meet in a restaurant?! Talk about self-sabotage...

    ReplyDelete
  11. reading that made me PB a little in my mouth. It is so true though, you get out of it what you put in. It really isn't easy and I don't know if people have think that it will be or what?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My support group is similar in that I'm the only bandster and I get the same reaction about my weight loss...they all seemed to be under the impression that you couldn't lose significant weight with a band (and I just love to prove them wrong)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. People are so ridiculous. Who says bandsters can't be as successful as RNY patients? Umm, no one! It just takes determination, which, admittedly... not everyone has. I'd just take it as a compliment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Overall I agree with you but after seeing Hubby struggle and struggle with the band (he's still not at a proper restriction level) I can understand how she could give up. There needs to be a certain level of personal commitment and she (and my hubby for that matter) were not ready to make it. Sad.

    ReplyDelete