Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Till Death Parts Us...Is the Lap Band worth risking death?

Me and SAL, SAL and me.  I love my band, and respect it.  There are rough times (umm...learning experiences), but overall, things generally go okay.


Some of you from Myfitnesspal.com and lapbandtalk.com might be aware that one of our own passed away.  Of course there's no 100% safe surgery, but I never thought I'd know (virtually) one of those statistics.  Two weeks ago, she posted that her band slipped, she went to the ER, the compression of the band pinched nerves, causing seizures and she was clinically dead for 4 minutes. She was shocked back to life.  She went home, awaiting a doctor appointment on 5/1 to have the band removed.  She logged her food a few times, posted her usual positive comments on our posts, and passed away a few days later. I could go on with details, but in reality, it was complications due to the band.  You will be missed, Shirley.


I have to ask myself, "Is the band worth dying for?  Is it worth taking that risk?  Is it better to die trying than to not try at all?  This blog is meant to encourage others to think.  Feel free to post your response, or just think to yourself.


My answer, yes.  If the device that I had put in to save my life ends it, then so be it.  At least now I know that I can do this weight loss thing.  It ain't pretty.  There are frustrations and struggles every day of this journey.  I don't regret it.  No matter what, I'm not focusing on statistics.  I can try to make it "less awful" by saying..."but she had the band in 2006, and things are better now" ... but in reality, that's the chance we take.  It scares me.


SAL, the name of my band, stands for "Saving Amy's Life."  And you know what, he has already done his job. My labs are normal, I'm 95 pounds down, and I feel better about myself.  I will continue on.


If something happens and the band has to be removed tomorrow, I*REGRET*NOTHING.


7 comments:

  1. That's awful.... But no, it is not worth dying for to be thin. But the lapband saves many more lives than it ends. So, there may be risks, but it is a bigger risk to stay obese... I guess, everyone who decides to have WLS has measured the risks against the rewards...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on how you look at it. I agree with Diva that being thin isn't worth dying over but neither is being fat. Some people, like my hubby, WILL die if they don't lose weight. PERIOD. So I guess it goes both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the way I look at it...I would most likely have died early if I hadn't lost weight, having surgery in itself is a risk so, yes, I was willing die to get the lapband but compared to the risk of early death I don't cosider it much of a risk.

    I will say that, in addition to her band complications, Shirley also had some existing health issues...whether or not her death was caused soley by the band or did her existing health issues play a part...we may never know the whole story.

    My prayers go out to Shirley's family and friends...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that happened. That is horrible. I think you are more at risk for death from obesity related issues. I am not sure I would ever want to go back to by pre-band days.

    You are 95 pounds down!! It seems like our surgery was just yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I don't know Shirley, but my prayers go out to her friends an family. I would have to say that for me, the band has well been worth the risks. I was not really living before, my life was ruled by food and my obsession with it. I still have a ways to go, but I am not ruled by food anymore. I'm living my life, I'm much happier, I'm certainly healthier, I don't hurt all the time and as an added bonus, I look better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is completely scary, and I know for myself I did not take the decision to get WLS lightly. I chose the band because it seemed to have less potential risks compared to the gastric bypass and the sleeve. I was definitely "encouraged" to get the bypass or sleeve based on my high BMI, but I still don't regret not getting those surgeries. I know if I did nothing I was headed for early death.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so awful! I do agree that there are risks to both, but that is definitely an unusual complication and the risk of not having surgery and dying from other complications is much greater!

    I'm so proud of everyone who has taken charge of their health and not willing to sit back and do nothing!

    My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

    ReplyDelete