Life in the The Land of Amy has been pretty rocky lately. Last weekend I chalked it up to PMS. I was all teary and moody. This past weekend I couldn't think of another excuse. I cried at the drop of a hat, listened to quite possible the saddest breakup song ever written), "What Might Have Been," and mourned Mr. X. Again. Seriously, Amy? It has been two months. You've already mourned the breakup. You know why you ended it - remember the negatives? Heellloooo? Welcome to depression. Population: 1 (or it seems like it, anyway). This is the land of, "when a little thing goes wrong, it feels like the whole world is caving in."
Last week, a student spit in my eyes and I had to go to urgent care. After all of the child psych places I've worked, been a special ed teacher for 4 years...etc....never once have I had to report any "injury." I'm currently a teacher's aide, enjoying freedom from lesson plans and hours of prep work each night. Imagine my surprise when I felt the spit land in my eyes. It was disgusting. He also spit in my co worker's face, but she said it did not go in her eyes. Special Education isn't always a bowl of Edy's.
What was even more disgusting was the way it was handled by the teacher and administrator. After getting my eyes flushed for 15 minutes by Nurse Ratched, I drove to urgent care. I had to get blood drawn, and will have to go back in 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months and one year. Why? For HIV tests. In the eyes of medicine, saliva in the eyes is just as dangerous as a needle stick. The chance is very slim, but still a risk. Worker's comp. Ugh. I've never had to do anything like this before.
The next day, the little bugger was spitting again. He spit on my coworker (he will not spit on me again, I'm wearing my eyeglasses and steering clear). I told the teacher, who told the administrator, who called the parent to pick the kid up. I was happy. A spitting kid should not be at school. The parent showed up, pitched a fit and said that the teacher should know how to handle it. The administrator allowed her kid to stay in the classroom and mom went home. HOME. I was pissed.
Other than documenting the behavior, nothing else is being done to ensure the safety of the staff and other students from the little bugger.
That's just one thing that's going on....but I promise that I'm reading everyone's blogs (pinky promise), I'm just not really able to write a happy funny cheery blog right now. I will say one positive thing - I tried on my inspiration dress for BOOBs today (with, um, a lot of support help underneath!) and it fits! Always end on a positive note, right?

Bless. Your. Heart. I have heard A LOT of workers comp claims --- I have not heard that one.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a case of PMS with the crying - Mr. X be damned! Not that I know the story, just trying to be proactive. LOL
ReplyDeleteAlso, eff that little kid. I would have gotten tested, too. You just never know these days.
Just breathe. 9 more days til Chicago!
OMG. I'd be crying too....spit on? That's just too much!
ReplyDeleteYay for the dress fitting!
poor thing! what a little shit! Whatever happened to after school detention?
ReplyDelete2 months isn't that long. Allow the grieving but pick yourself up as I know you can and move forward! Awesome work on the dress can't wait to see you do king it in Chi-town!
ReplyDeleteThat should have said ROCKING IT! Damn phone!
ReplyDeleteUgh. I work in urgent care and unfortunately, we see stuff like this all the time. Once you've had any sort of "exposure" you do need to be tested for everything. Annoying, but I HAVE seen people come back positive from such things. (Not trying to scare you - the chances of saliva infecting you with anything are so minuscule, but what I'm talking was a severe bite from a student to teacher.) Well...hang in there and hope that kid gets the help they need.
ReplyDeleteYahoo on the dress!!! I'm sorry you have to deal with the whole spitting thing and the aftermath.. that's annoying!
ReplyDeleteSoon, we'll be all living it up in Chicago!!!
Sorry you got spit on. That is horrible. :(
ReplyDeletesorry you've had some hormonal and rough days girl - I hope it gets better!!
ReplyDelete