Yes. Me. Amy. I ate Tofu. Tofu Shirataki noodles, to be exact. They're in the dairy section with the regular Tofu at stores like Whole Foods. If you would have asked me six months ago if I would have even THOUGHT of eating Tofu, I would have told you no and asked if you were on crack. I would have rather been tarred, feathered, and left on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Tofu is, "described by many as rotten and fecal." Yeah. But this is the NEW AMY. She tries new things. <rolling eyes>
I stared at the package in my fridge for a week. Every day, I cringed at the thought that I would have to eat them. Most of you know that I'm a super picky eater. SUPER picky. I'm trying really hard to eat different things (mostly mixing things like soy proteins into regular meals that I already eat).
I used "spaghetti" shaped tofu noodles to make Pizza Spaghetti Pie. The original idea came from Hungry Girl. Her recipe is called "Super Duper Spaghetti Pie." I used the basic idea from her but turned it into my own. There are lots of youtube videos of fans making her recipes. Basically, you prepare the noodles as directed on the package and just make spaghetti like normal, but add in protein. I added turkey pepperoni, turkey sausage (Jimmy Dean precooked crumbles ROCK and they're the same price as the uncooked!), Laughing Cow cheese wedges and tomato sauce.
Last week I cooked up a mega batch of onions and pushed them into ice cube trays for later. Once frozen, I popped 'em up and bagged each one individually. Tonight all I had to do was nuke the baggie for 10 seconds to soften, then added 1 of the cubes. I added a touch of cayenne pepper, parsley & garlic to the recipe. Think pizza and pasta mixed together. Some egg whites to bind it together, into the oven, and then I had to eat it. Deep breath. . .
Okay. It made two 1 cup servings. I'm stuffed. Was it fantastic? No. It was edible. The noodles were a strange texture that required a lot of chewing. Honestly, I don't need the tofu noodles. I don't really crave pasta much. I would have been just fine eating the meats and onion (not a big veggie person). The only thing I really miss is my mac and cheese, but I suck it up and get over it. It was an interesting meal, but nothing I'll brag about.

I am totally laughing at your "noodle review" because I can relate. I tried these about 2 months ago...kind of previewing products and recipes while I was waiting to get banded....anyway, I opened the package and the first thing I did was to stick my nose in to smell it. OMG!!! It smelled so bad...I did still make the noodles and have them w/ spaghetti sauce....but I really didn't like them too much. I think the smell biased my opinion.
ReplyDeleteI heard they really stink and getting over the smell is the hardest part!! I have seen them several times at Whole Foods but I just can't bring myself to try it.
ReplyDeleteI'm a super picky eater, too. But I've really been coming out of my proverbial shell with my cooking lately, too. Kinda cool! Even if the tofu noodles weren't awesome.
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Amy ... I'm not there yet .... lol ! Can you please either email me your email address or look for me on myfitnesspal - I'm cecelou2you@gmail.com thanks !!
ReplyDelete