Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Recipe: Onion Rings (baked)

My final finished product
I've been reading all of the Hungry Girl cookbooks.  Try your local library - I found so many recipes that I liked in one book that I just went ahead and bought it rather than copy half of it.  The other books had a few each that I wanted to try, but not buy.  She focuses on low calorie/low fat fixes to high cal foods.  I've noticed that although her ideas are great, they're usually a bit too high in carbs and sodium, but they're nice for a treat every once and a while.

Today's recipe is, "Lord of the Onion Rings."  You can find it here:  RECIPE.  It is from this cookbook:  BOOK. The biggest challenge of the recipe was trying not to slice off fingers when cutting the onion rings!  It was pretty easy to make (few ingredients and prep time). I used way less of the seasoning than she did.  I also added small amounts of cayenne and chipotle powders for a little kick.  Either I picked a gigantic onion, or her serving was huge.  See my pic for what my serving size was.  That was only half of the onion. I'll still count it as a full serving on my food count though...but twice this would have been gigantic.

PER SERVING (entire recipe): 155 calories, 1g fat, 515mg sodium, 41g carbs, 16g fiber, 7g sugars, 9g protein 

Amy's overall rating:  2 (I over-breaded it)

Rating Scale
0: I would run away from this food and never eat it again, even if starving, not even feeding it to the dogs
1: It was edible, but I won't make it again
2:  It was okay, I would make it again, but make some changes
3:  It was good and I'll make it again
4:  I flippin' loved this! You must make it!
Waaaaay too close to my food!  He almost licked the plate before I busted him!

4 comments:

  1. Not a fan of onion rings but i do want to try her cheese sticks :) I really like your rating scale !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the cheese sticks and they were really dry. Just make sure to use plenty of egg and not too much breading. You might want to add some pepper to the breading, too. It only scored a 1 on the Amy Rating Scale. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your rating scale is pretty cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. like the rating scale; love the picture!! :)

    ReplyDelete