Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Shit happens...well....not all the time.

I've been a regular girl all my life (33 1/2 years!).  I might not have visited the porcelain throne every single solitary day, but there were no complaints.  Then I got SAL.  Yeah, SAL has rocked my digestive world.  Yes, I'm sure this is TMI for my non-banded followers, but its something I've got to discuss.  You've been warned.

The pre-op diet brought nothing but diarrhea.  That quickly changed after surgery.  Nearly seven weeks post-op, I'm averaging once every three days.  Seriously.  I know what you're thinking, "Is she drinking enough water?"   Yes!  If I drank any more water, I think I would vomit.  I physically cannot drink any more than I am.  I eat fruit, take my multi-vitamin, yadda yadda yadda.  I'm going crazy.  

After an uneventful trip to The Throne today, I made a decision.  I have to get regular again.  My belly hurt and I just felt miserable.  Off I went to Walgreens.  I stood there in the digestive section in complete awe.  So many choices.  I decide I should ask the pharmacist.  I trot over to the little consultation window and discover <gasp> a man.  Sorry, mission aborted.  Can't ask those questions of a man.  

Back to the aisle of doom and desperation.  Ok, well, I don't need an enema or anything drastic.  I already have enough decorations in my house, I don't need more!  Ok, enema is out.  Next choice: suppositories.  Well, I don't understand the logic here.  If the problem is that nothing is coming out, why would I shove something in?  Ok, suppositories are out.  Then I see it:  "Gentle Laxative."  How nice.  Gentle.  It makes me think about sitting on a lovely white cloud and gracefully moving my bowels. 

The directions said 1-3 pills.  I took one while still in the parking lot.  I'm not kidding, people.  I mean business.  Business of the numero dos nature.  We'll see what happens.  I'll be sure to <cough> fill you in.  And that's no shit.


7 comments:

  1. Coming from nurse Kelli....Benefiber works great. Also many people have success with Miralax. just some suggestions. I worry about this too after I am banded as I have always had trouble with the "C" word and I am afraid it will only get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the funny part is that my dog (that has neuro damage) actually gets unflavored Metamucil twice a day. Guess he's going to have to share with me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to have several addominal surgeries. I would get really constipated after every one. and I would feel terrible. REALLY important that i NOT Strain either. Senokot worked well for me. I still keep a bottle of it here. I agree that Benefiber might be good,check Senokot's fiber intake. As your food intake is limited so is your fiber intake. One more thing... Amy, you crack me up. You are fine with picking something out and taking it in YOUR car nowhere near a toilet, but you can't ask a man how to unclog your pipes? Ok, so I have a funny story. I hate male doctors (got fondled by one as a teen, and have had a few who were VERY condescending) When I was preggers and my OB gyn was telling me she may go on vacation around my due date, I asked, well who will deliver my baby then. She told me the name of a guy dr... I said, uh no, I dont do guy drs, She said, trust me, when it comes time to have this kid, you will let ANYONE see u, touch u, help u... u will NOT care. He ended up needing to give me a c - section..but she was right... I took the gown and all my clothes off and didnt care who saw me... i was in agony. lol.

    For your dog amy... two things are AWESOME dog tools... one is pumpkin, which is a great digestive helper for diarrhea, stomach ailments, vomiting, and even contipation (yes, from the can, put it in TBSP full onto a cookie sheet w waxed paper and freeze it, put it in a bag and give as a treat.) and MY DOG GETS A TBSP of flax seed in his food 2x a week. Keeps him regular AND no anal gland problems at all. :) (disclaimer - the amount of flax seed you need is determined by the weight of your dog.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you've probably already tried a variety of nuts (cashews, almonds, etc)? Hope you have a regular posting soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to buy Benefiber singles when I go grocery shopping tomorrow, so I hope it's worth all the hype! I'm still having this problem. :( Which it's only been about 2-3 weeks, but it's driving me bonkers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had Benefiber, but I hear it's great. I'm only a little over a week out from banding, but 2 stool softeners have worked for me. Sometimes, unfortunately, it's all trial and error. Good luck.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same issue Amy! If it's been a couple days, and I'm feeling lousy, I take Milk of Magnesia (which says that it works overnight, but it's more like a couple hours later for me)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete